Want to get outside the city center and explore Denver’s true culture? You came to the right place. This Denver Neighborhood Guide will show you what hanging out like a local is all about!
First up on the to-travel list is Speer, my personal fave place for a weekend hang out! Since Speer is located just a touch over one mile from the downtown city center, it’s an easy ride-share away from lots of hotels and makes for a convenient ‘hood to visit. Due to an area park and historic district, the North Eastern portion of Speer is also known as Alamo Placita. Alamo Placita is the area I most frequent and where my itinerary (below) will be taking you.
Concierge’s Neighborhood Travel Itinerary: Speer/Alamo Placita
1. Get your zen on inside Tibet Imports. Located on the happenin’ block of East 6th Avenue, this hole-in-the-wall is home to hundreds of Mala’s! (Pssst: Don’t know what a Mala is? Learn more.) While you’re here, don’t miss out on a Verdic Astrology Reading from my girl, Sarita. Astrology Readings can be a useful tool to help plan and make big life decisions (like where to go to lunch!). I can do nothing more than promise Tibet Imports will be a unique Denver experience you won’t want to pass up.
2. After you’ve picked out a souvenir Mala, take a jaunt down the block to Angelo’s Taverna for some fabulous food. (See, I told you Sarita can help you make lunch decisions…) This is a true Alamo Placita staple. Locally owned and operated, Angelo’s makes authentic Italian dishes in an unpretentious atmosphere. They also make a mean pizza (RHPC is the seriously the bomb.com), and homemade limoncello (if you want to get a head start on the nightly festivities).
3. Last stop on the Alamo Placita tour is Don’s Club Tavern; the best dive bar around! The prices are unheard of ($3 wells), they’ve got a jukebox, skee-ball, shuffle board table, AND a vending machine. All that at your fingertips, who could ask for more? Do be aware, Don’s gets pretty crowded on weekends, so make sure you’re in the mood to party down if you choose to swing by on a Friday or Saturday night.
River North Art District
Next on our neighborhood walkabout is a hip area known for its creativity – RiNo – River North Art District. This district within the Five Points neighborhood boundaries has been an up-and-coming area since before I moved to Denver and has finally made it’s mark as a prime destination for all who visit the city. Originally an industrial block filled with warehouses, RiNo’s transformation has been gradual yet great. What once was a gritty, non-use space of Denver is now home to loads of breweries, boutiques, restaurants, and street art. You’ll definitely want to make RiNo a priority.
Concierge’s Neighborhood Travel Itinerary: River North Arts District (RiNo)
1. Begin your day with something the district is known for, art. The RedLine Contemporary Art Center fosters education and engagement between artists and communities. They put on a plethora of events and exhibitions that benefit the featured artists, engross visitors, and expand others’ artistic knowledge. Although many of their events are hosted in-house, RedLine is not afraid to bring creativity outdoors to area parks or open-space.
2. Itinerary stop numero dos will have you traveling to a gigantic mixed use space that is home to some of Denver’s beloved breweries, eateries, and even a butcher shop and spice market. Formerly a warehouse, The Source is exactly what the name entails – ‘the source’ for anything and everything. While here, check out the array of sour beers from Crooked Stave or the antojitos (street snacks) from Comida. The Source is also home to one of Denver’s Top 25 Restaurants – Acorn. They really do have it all!
3. Ending the night in RiNo at Nocturne Jazz and Supper Club is a no brainer. What started out as a sketchy industrial space has (within the last three years) blossomed into one of the hippest spots to catch live jazz music in the Denver area. Nocturne is known as much for their hospitality and service as they are for their music – and their food is nothing to joke about either! This modern day jazz club is not to be missed while in the River North Arts District.
1. Start your morning in the Highlands at Fierce 45 – a high intensity, low impact, butt kicker megaformer (what the heck is a megaformer?!) workout. Think pilates on steroids. Originally opened by coaches from CorePower Yoga, you’ll be sure to get a great sweat sesh in, in this quick 45 minute workout. And you won’t regret it!
2. Since you burned off some major calories at Fierce this morning, sounds like you’re free to indulge in a beer or six at Prost Brewing Company. Centrally located on 19th Street, Prost is serving up ah-mazing German-style beers in a casual setting with great skyline views. They also have an outdoor patio space if you feel like being outdoorsy.
3. Avanti will be your third and final stop on this mini, guided Highlands tour. A great place to dine and drink, Avanti attracts crowds every day of the week. This bi-level shipping container boasts an indoor food court encompassing six local vendors that are dishing out their grub counter-service-style. Similar to Prost, they have incredible Skyline views of Denver (holy cranes, Batman!), a nice variety of taps, and an upstairs patio space complete with fire pits. Although I suggest checking out all the menus, my go-to at Avanti is always Queiro Arepas – because where else do you find Arepas in Denver?! My mouth is watering just thinking about the Pabellon. Pair it with a coconut water (fresh out of the coconut) and you’ve found the golden ticket.
These itineraries barely scratch the surface as to what is available in each of these Denver neighborhoods. If you’re interested in more specific to-do’s in these hoods or any of the others (so many neighborhoods so little time!!) please reach out at When in ROAM. We would love to help make your Denver trip the best ever! Happy Traveling! -Staci
This article was written by When in ROAM concierge Staci Savas, a Luxury Concierge in Denver and neighborhood expert. Follow her adventures on Instagram or request a personalized Denver travel itinerary here for a completely tailored travel guide.